Tuesday 22 September 2009

Experimantal Video 'Doll Face' by Andy Huang


Yesturday I watched a piece called 'Doll Face' by Andy Huang. Unknowingly to me, this wasn't the first time that I had watched this piece. Before I had seen the original piece with the original music, I had seen the video with a song called 'Illusion' by a band called 'VNV Nation. So I have seen Doll Face in two differen't ways.

The original piece has alot of passion and emotion, you can really tell the artist is trying to put across a very important point, possibly something that is close to his heart. I feel the context of this piece is simple, Andy is trying to put across his point in a very artistic manner. He puts across what he wants you to feel and think in this piece by using music and art. The art is in the form of the Doll, The Doll's face is very human and emits human emotions, the viewer can tell what the 'Doll' is feeling by its expressions and the way it moves.

This piece has alot of craft put into it, the skill used to create this computer animated piece is harder then one would think. He is obviously very talented in putting what he see's in his head into animation. This animation is very complex, it has movement, emotion and flickering images. All this put together puts across a certain feeling/emotion to the viewer.

The concept of this piece I feel is very indepth, he is obviously very passionate about this piece, the music the emotion the movement everything, just puts certain emotions across to the viewer, I thought that this was a beautiful piece. When I watched 'Doll Face' I thought that Andy was trying to put across the 'price of beauty' that sometimes people try too hard to achieve perfection, but fail. For example plastic surgery, some people take it too far ruin their body's and relationships around them. Another thing this piece made me feel was that everyone puts on a certain mask everyday to try and achive a certain look, to make other percieve them in a certain way ; but inevitably everyone is all the same, everyone will pass away and everyone breaks. The Doll, starts of dull and 'ugly' then she sees an image of a pretty person on her TV, she sets out to create this look, she achieves it and is happy; She then see's a more beautiful 'more human' image she sets out to achieve this look, she then craves more and more images of perfection. When so over streaches to reach perfection, she breaks. She didn't realise she could've just achieved happyness in her first look, she took it to far and reached beyond her limits, this broke her. As what she was reaching for was unobtainable.


I loved this piece as it has so many layers to and makes you think alot, It brings up so many emotions. I personally think this piece is beautiful.


1 comment:

  1. Really thoughtful and well written piece Kesh well done! I agree with your reading of Doll Face and I look forward to reading more of your work on this topic. Great start.

    ReplyDelete